* Mirror-up function eliminates vibrations caused by mirror movement during critical long exposures.
* User selectable exposure compensation and bracketing increments of 1/2 EV or 1/3 EV within a +/-3 EV range allows the photographer to make minute exposure adjustments.
* On-the film imprinting information now includes the total number of film rolls used in the camera, focusing mode, ISO film speed setting, use of AE lock and/or auto bracketing functions, use of flash synchronization, as well as exposure frame number, exposure mode, shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation value, metering mode and lens focal length. This all appears at the bottom of the film just outside the image area.
10 user selectable PENTAX functions allow the camera to be customized to the photographers needs.
* Accepts the new generation of electronic accessories including the CS-105 and CS-130 Cable Switches and the TS-110 Release Timer Switch (as used with the MZ-S), as well as a standard cable release.
* The 645NII has a new textured matte finish (similar to the MZ-S) that is 1.7 times thicker than a normal coating.
The 645NII incorporates the PENTAX-developed SAFOX IV phase-matching autofocus system to ensure accurate focusing not only on subjects with vertical orientation but also on those with horizontal orientation - even under such poor lighting conditions as EV-1.
The 645NII incorporates a "Dual Six-Segment" multi-pattern metering system. Two sensors positioned at both sides of the viewfinder measure the subject's lighting condition in two different areas: the wide sensor covers the entire image field, while the narrow sensor monitors the light reaching the central area of the image field. As a result, the 645NII can measure the subject's lighting condition with exceptional accuracy and efficiency.