- Black finish only.
- Compact body design, economic and simple to use.
- New features include: AE lock, Program AE mode favors higher shutter speeds than previous program mode Pentax cameras.
- Original P3 would not accept standard cable release. It was later modified to do so.
* Manual metering and program AE only. GPD metering cell.
* Program auto-flash is not TTL.
* Centerweighted metering pattern.
* LED metering display.
* AE Lock.
* Dedicated hot shoe.
* Electronically controlled, vertical moving metal blade shutter by Seiko (MFC-E7).
* Shutter speed range 1 sec - 1/1000 plus B and 1/100x.
* Stepless shutter speeds in AE modes.
* Flash sync at 1/100.
* Self timer.
* ISO/ASA film speed range: 25-1600, auto DX only.
* Manual film advance and rewind.
* Body grip.
* DOF preview in manual mode.
* VF info includes: shutter speed, metering function, flash ready signal. -> NO motordrive or autowinder compatibility.
Recommended flash: AF series dedicated flash. A and P series cameras should be used with SMC Pentax A lenses (KA mount) modified with electrical contacts for full body/lens communication in new Program and Shutter priority AE metering modes. K mount (SMC-M) lenses can be used, but only in Manual or Aperture Priority AE modes.