The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro is a medium range zoom lens for Nikon DX format Digital SLR Cameras. It's a versatile general purpose zoom lens with surprising macro photography abilities.
The 17-70mm offers a broad range of focal lengths (magnification), it starts moderately wide-angle at 17mm and zooms well into the portrait range at 70mm. This broad 4x zoom has maximum apertures that are relatively fast for it's class.
Sigma DC lenses have optics designed exclusively for the unique challenges and performance characteristics of APS-C and DX imaging sensors. The lens design incorporates two Aspherical elements and an SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element to minimize optical abberations and deliver good color, contrast, and clarity.
Autofocus is possible on Nikon camera bodies that have built-in focus motors. The lens employs an internal focus design which only needs to movem of a small lightweight group of elements. The Internal focus design speeds up AF and makes using polarizing filters easier. The 17-70mm also has macro capabilities, being able to close focus down to just 0.2m (7.9in).
The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro is a great walk around lens particularly for mid-level and higher Nikon DX format bodies able to leverage fast camera body focus motors. It's a wonderfully lens well suited to use photographing friends, family, and travel.
- Medium zoom range lens
- Sigma DC Series designed exclusively for DX and 24x16mm size sensors
- For Nikon F-Mount (G Type)
- Versatile zoom goes from wide angle deep into the portrait range
- Relatively bright maximum aperture
- Compact form factor
- 2 Aspherical lens elements
- 1 SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element
- Gear drive focus (uses camera AF motor)
- IF (Internal Focus) design and non-rotating filter ring
- Close focus to 0.2m (7.9in)
- Zoom lock switch prevents barrel extension while carrying
- Weighs only 455g (16oz)
- Uses 72mm filters
Available accessories include the reversible bayonet lens hood and 72mm filters.