The Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II VC (Tamron model B005) is a stabilized fast aperture medium zoom range lens for Nikon DX format DSLR cameras.
The lens is part of Tamron's Di II (Digitally Integrated Design II) line of lenses. Di II lenses have optics designed specifically for the unique challenges and performance characteristics of 24x16mm (DX format) sized digital sensors such as increased pixel density and sensor reflectivity. The 17-50mm offers a great general purpose zoom range spanning from moderately wide angle at the 17mm focal length to the start of the portrait lens range at it's 50mm focal length.
The f/2.8 maximum aperture is constant throughout full the zoom range, makes shooting in challenging available lighting conditions possible, and allows significant background blur. Bright f/2.8 aperture zooms like this one are the go-to general purpose choice of most working professional photographers.
Unlike the previous A16II model, this lens contains Tamron's innovative three coil VC (Vibration Compensation) system which reduces loss of sharpness due to hand held camera shake so images retain as much sharpness as possible; it's an invaluable feature in a walk around lens as it lets you effectively use slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible without a tripod.
The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC is a versatile all purpose lens and VC stabilization gives you an additional option in tricky situations. It's a great value for Nikon users wanting high quality images and good flexibility.
- Superior Performance medium zoom range lens
- Designed exclusively for 24x16mm (DX format) size sensors
- For Nikon F-Mount (G Type)
- Versatile zoom goes from wide angle to the start of the portrait range
- Di II (Digitally Integrated Design II) optics optimized for higher pixel density and sensor reflectance
- Bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture
- 2 LD (Low Dispersion) glass elementw
- 2 XR (Extra Refractive Index) elements
- 3 Aspherical lens elements
- VC (Vibration Compensation) reduces loss of image sharpness from camera/lens shake
- Circular aperture diaphragm (7 blades)
- BIM (Built-In Motor) delivers fast Autofocus
- IF (Internal Focus) design and non-rotating filter ring
- Close focus to 0.29m (11.4in)
- Zoom lock switch prevents barrel extension while carrying
- Weighs only 570g (20.15oz)
- Uses 72mm filters
Available accessories include the AB003 petal style bayonet lens hood and 72mm filters.