The EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lens is the longest telephoto lens available for Canon EOS cameras (aside from the extremely costly, rare, and unwieldy EF 1200mm f/5.6). The EF 800mm is an excellent choice for any long-distance application such as outdoor sports, wildlife, and photojournalism. Weighing a relatively modest 4.5kg (9.9lbs), it's actually lighter than the popular Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS lens!
The EF 800mm shares the same weather-resistant construction, superb control layout, and well balanced weight distribution as the rest of the L-series super telephotos. The two-mode Image Stabilizer system allows the use of shutter speeds up to four times slower with no perceptible increase in image blur. Mode 1 is best used for still subjects while Mode 2 is optimized for panning with moving subjects. An ultrasonic autofocus motor enables fast smooth and quiet AF action, while a focus preset function allows you to store focus position and snap to it in an instant when needed. Conveniently placed AF function buttons allow autofocus customization with just a touch and full time mechanical manual focus override allows precise focus adjustments even in AF mode. A focus range limit option also reduces AF hunt time.
Overall image quality is most excellent as expected from a tip top of the line L-Series lens. Canon expertly employs two fluorite lens elements, one UD element, and one Super-UD-glass element in a 18 element 14 group arrangement. The EF 800mm's high contrast and razor sharpness shine quite brightly, but perhaps the most impressive thing about the 800mm is it's ability to flatten the world with uncommon clarity. The ultra high magnification 3.5° angle of view permits unparalleled perspective compression by capturing amazing detail while standing out at extraordinary range. Breathtaking slivers of landscapes are rendered so well it's no wonder the EF 800mm is considered the new gold standard for extreme outdoor photography.
- Extraordinary reach ideal for long range applications
- Longest EOS lens available
- 3.5° diagonal angle of view on Full Frame
- EF mount with full frame coverage
- 1280mm equivalent when cropped to APS-C format
- Remarkable clarity and image quality
- Tremendous ability to compress perspective while retaining detail
- Image Stabilizer with two modes
- Ultra responsive Ring Type USM (Ultrasonic Motor)
- Full time manual focus override
- Focus range limit switch (∞-20m, 20m-6m, ∞-6m,)
- AF function buttons on barrel
- Focus preset/recall controls
- Rotating tripod mount/carry handle with strap mounts
- Useable with EF tele-extenders and extension tubes
- Close focuses to 6m
- Rugged pro grade L-Series construction
- Drop-in filter holder
- Environmentally sealed for outdoor use in tough weather
Available accessories include Lens Case 800MM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Extender EF 2x III, Lens Cap E-180C, Lens Dust Cap E Rear Cap, Extension Tube EF 12 II, Extension Tube EF 25 II, 52mm Drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter PL-C 52, Lens Hood ET-155.