The Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 Aspherical is an extremely high performance lens for Leica M rangefinder cameras. It combines exceptionally high speed with an image performance. As the brightest Aspherical lens ever made it's has tremendous abilities. Even at full aperture, the Noctilux-M 50mm ASPH f/0.95 demonstrates excellent reproduction quality, which only deteriorates slightly towards the edges. Stopping down brings continuous significant improvement in performance, up to an exceptional level over the entire image field at f/5.6.
For such a high speed lens theres a strikingly low degree of corner vignetting, a maximum of just 3.2 stops at full aperture in 35mm format, or around 1.5 on M8 models. Stopping down to f/2 visibly reduces this light falloff towards the edge of the image, with practically only the natural vignetting remaining. Distortion is slightly barrel-shaped and, at a maximum of just 1%, is hardly perceptible in practice. The construction is similar to a double Gauss type and uses a total of eight lenses to achieve this excellent performance. Of these, five are made of glass types with anomalous color dispersion (partial dispersion) to correct color defects, while three simultaneously have extremely high refractive power. Because of their large diameter, the two aspherical lens surfaces are produced by meticulous grinding and polishing. To maintain performance in the close-up range, the rearmost element of the optical system is a "floating element" that moves independently of the rest of the focus mechanism.
Compared to it's predecessor the Noctilux-M 50mm f/1, a noticeably (11%) higher speed has been achieved with almost the same diameter and only slight additional length. At the same time, the Noctilux-M 0.95 renders images with improved image quality.
If you're fortunate enough to be able to experience the Noctilux 0.95, it's highly recommended. This is one of the best and most uniquely capable lenses ever be produced anywhere by anyone. It's a rare thing of beauty that creates other distinctive and uncommonly beautiful things.
- Ultra fast M mount 'normal' lens
- Worlds brightest aspherical lens
- Legendary Leica optical and mechanical construction
- Able to produce the shallowest depth of field imaginable
- Bokeh like nothing else
- Superior image quality and remarkable clarity
- Floating rear lens element for maximum sharpness at all focus distances
- Aspherical element
- 5 Anomalous partial dispersion and 3 high refractive index glass elements
- Half click stops from f/.95 to f/16
- Smooth precise manual focus
- Focuses to 1m with 1:17 maximum magnification
- Built-in locking lens hood
- Accepts E60 (60mm threaded standard pitch) filters
- Compact and relatively light at 335g
- 6-bit coded
Available accessories include E60 filters.