The goal was straightforward; take a truly versatile professional tool to new levels of response, handling efficiency and fine control over the results. The strategy was clear; apply the feedback gained by working hand in hand with professional photographers in the field to refine the already stellar operation and performance of the flagship D2X digital SLR camera. At the heart of the system is a proven 12.4 million-pixel image sensor, advanced image processing engine, and optimized systems that blend high levels of resolution with superb image quality, pure color rendition, and class-leading speed. The 11-area AF system is tuned to deliver even finer precision and higher performance. An improved view in High-speed Crop mode makes composition easier. The host of enhancements also includes significantly increased battery life per charge, an improved menu interface, and a new color calibrated 2.5-inch LCD with ultra-wide viewing angle. The Nikon D2Xs hits the mark ? freeing photographers to explore the true nature of photography.
While the D2xs shares many features with its predecessor, the new model boasts an array of refinements that enhance performance and improve the user experience. Such features include, refined viewfinder performance; a new LCD with a 170-degree wide viewing angle; significantly increased battery life; and a wide range of firmware enhancements. The integration of a 12.4 megapixel CMOS image sensor delivers high quality images that can be captured in JPEG or RAW images at a rate of up to five frames per second in continuous shooting mode. Powerful image-processing technologies and the 3D-Color Matrix Metering II ensure images rich in detail, color which contain a smooth tonal range. The D2xs also offers 3D-Color Matrix Metering II in High-speed Crop mode and new custom settings have been introduced to the viewfinder to allow clearer viewing for the user.
The Adobe RGB profile provides a broader range of colors than the sRGB profile, making it a more suitable choice for professional photographers. The D2xs has also been optimized for post-processing of images with the ability to select Adobe RGB from either Mode I or Mode III in camera. An additional new Black & White color mode further expands the photographer’s creative possibilities.
- 12.4 (effective) megapixel Nikon DX format CMOS Sensor
- Lightweight, durable magnesium body
- Powerful image processing engine designed to produce optimum image quality and high-speed 4-channel data outputs
- Improved 3D-Color Matrix Metering II with ambient light sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor delivers consistent and dependable automatic exposure
- Excellent response featuring instant start-up and ultra-short 37ms shutter release lag
- 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors with new refinements delivers faster response and greater precision for optimal performance under the most challenging shooting conditions
- High-speed continuous shooting: 5 frames per second (fps) at full resolution for up to 17 consecutive NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) or 22 JPEG images; 8 fps for 29 NEF or 50 JPEG images at 6.8 megapixels in High-speed Crop mode
- High-speed Crop mode features a new automatic viewfinder mask feature for more accurate and confident composition
- Top shutter speed of 1/8,000 second and flash sync speeds up to 1/250 second
- Next Generation Color Reproduction
- Black & White mode added to the six color mode and color profile combinations
- Broad Color Mode Options
- Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor has ultra-wide 170° viewing angle for clear image preview and easy access to settings and information, including RGB Histograms and Recent Settings list
- Creative in-camera effects with Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure, and in-camera trimming with Trim function
- High-energy EN-EL4a rechargeable lithium-ion battery features significantly increased capacity, and provides detailed battery status information
- Full support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System and i-TTL flash control when used with the SB-800, SB-600 or Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems
- Support for Capture NX
- GPS support
- Image Authentication to protect the integrity of valuable data
- Wireless support with the Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A
Available accessories include the Nikon SB-800 Speedlight, GP-1A GPS Unit, BL-1 Battery Chamber Cover, EN-EL4a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, BM-3 LCD Monitor Cover, MH-21 Quick Charger, EH-6A AC Adapter.