The Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 is a manual focus normal lens for the world famous Olympus OM system. It's useable on OM-Mount 35mm film SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras and accessories like OM-Mount lens adapters or extension tubes. Olympus' Zuiko lenses are revered for being superb optics executed with high quality glass and coatings.
The lens produces a 47° (diagonal) angle of view; it's is often referred to as a 'normal' lens because the field of view roughly matches a human eye and is not considered wide angle or telephoto but rather in-between.
A 50mm f/1.8 is an especially good choice for anyone learning photography. The f/1.8 aperture allows experimentation with shallower depth of field and shooting in lower lighting. The fixed focal length forces a photographer to think more concretely about the compositional and perspective effects of physically moving the camera rather than complacently relying on a zoom mechanism to change framing. It's also an especially affordable way for a photographer to experience the level of sharpness and contrast possible from higher end lenses.
Photographers or collectors seeking a slightly brighter and more premium optic may also want to consider the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.4.
- 50mm manual focus 'normal'/'standard' lens for Olympus OM 35mm SLR cameras
- Olympus OM-Mount
- Sharp high quality optic
- An ideal student lens
- 47° angle of view (diagonal)
- f/1.8 maximum aperture is bright, great for available light photography
- f/1.8 maximum aperture produces shallow depth of field
- Built-in depth-of-field preview button
- Informative depth-of-field scale
- Stops down to f/16 for additional depth-of-field
- Light at only 170g grams
- Focuses as close as .45m (1.5ft)
- Uses 49mm size filters
Available accessories include spare caps, lens hood, 49mm filters