The AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4 D ED IF is a powerful super-telephoto autofocus lens for Nikon Digital SLR cameras and 35mm film SLR cameras. It's a thoroughly professional grade lens that produces top level sharpness, contrast, and color. The narrow 5° angle of view makes the lens well suited for high magnification outdoor photography and it's bright f/4 maximum aperture and ultra fast AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) make allow it to keep up with demanding fast paced action.
The Nikon 500mm f/4 D uses 11 elements in 9 groups (not including the protective front glass or 52mm drop-in filter), three of those elements are made of ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass and the results are simply superb. The f/4 maximum aperture produces an amazing amount of pleasant background blur, allows access to fast shutter speeds, and makes shooting in dim light or with teleconverters possible.
Autofocus performance is ultra responsive thanks to a high speed AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) driving an internal focus mechanism that also allows full time manual focus override. The provided focus limit switch can further reduce AF seek time when in use by restricting the focus range to either infinity to 10m or 12m to close focus. Four exterior AF function buttons allow additional focus control and set-up customization.
Originally released in 1997 the Nikon 500mm f/4 D ED IF (Nikon USA part# 1937) is a faster focusing and lighter replacement for the Nikkor 500mm F/4 D ED IF AF-I. A newer Nikon 500mm f/4 D ED IF version II (Nikon USA part# 2131) was released in 2001 with additional weight reductions and a slightly better close focus distance, but the 500mm f/4 D ED IF version I remains popular due to it's mostly comparable performance and lower price.
- Incredibly fast and sharp super-telephoto
- Ideal lens for outdoor action photography
- Bright f/4 maximum aperture
- Equivalent to a 750mm when cropped to DX format
- Nine-blade rounded aperture diaphragm
- Produces beautiful background blur
- 3 ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements
- Internal Focus Design
- Strong high speed AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides quick and quiet autofocusing
- M/A mode provides full time instant manual focus override
- Four exterior AF function buttons
- Close focus distance of 5 meters
- Focus limit switch reduces AF seek time by restricting focus range
- Rotating tripod collar with strap mounts also serves as carry handle
- Mechanical aperture control allows use on broad range of cameras and adapters
Available accessories include the CT-502 Trunk Case, HK-24 Hood, 52mm drop-in filters, C-PL1L Drop-In Polarizer, & Nikon teleconverters