The AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4 D ED IF II is a powerful super-telephoto autofocus lens for Nikon Digital SLR cameras and 35mm film SLR cameras. It's a thoroughly professional grade lens that produces top level sharpness, contrast, and color. The narrow 5° angle of view makes the lens well suited for high magnification outdoor photography and it's bright f/4 maximum aperture and ultra fast AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) make allow it to keep up with demanding fast paced action.
The Nikon 500mm f/4 D II uses 11 elements in 9 groups (not including the protective front glass or 52mm drop-in filter), three of those elements are made of ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass and the results are simply superb. The f/4 maximum aperture produces an amazing amount of pleasant background blur, allows access to fast shutter speeds, and makes shooting in dim light or with teleconverters possible.
Autofocus performance is ultra responsive thanks to a high speed AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) driving an internal focus mechanism that also allows full time manual focus override. The provided focus limit switch can further reduce AF seek time when in use by restricting the focus range to either infinity to 8m or 8m to close focus. Four exterior AF function buttons allow additional focus control and set-up customization.
Originally released in 2001 the Nikon 500mm f/4 D ED IF version II (Nikon USA part# 2131) is an update of the previous Nikkor 500mm f/4 D ED IF (version I Nikon USA part# 1937) which includes significant weight reduction and closer minimum focusing. A newer 500mm was released in 2007 which added VR but also weight and expense. This model remains popular due to it's outstanding performance and lower price.
- Incredibly fast and sharp super-telephoto
- Ideal lens for outdoor action photography
- Bright f/4 maximum aperture
- Equivalent to a 750mm when cropped to DX format
- Nine-blade rounded aperture diaphragm
- Produces beautiful background blur
- 3 ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements
- Internal Focus design
- Strong high speed AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides quick and quiet autofocusing
- M/A mode provides full time instant manual focus override
- Four exterior AF function buttons
- Auto focuses to 4.6 meters, manual focuses to 4.4 meters
- Focus limit switch reduces AF seek time by restricting focus range
- Rotating tripod collar with strap mounts also serves as carry handle
- lightweight magnesium die-cast construction
- Mechanical aperture control allows use on broad range of cameras and adapters
Available accessories include the CT-502 Trunk Case, HK-28 Hood, 52mm drop-in filters, & Nikon teleconverters