The Nikon D80 is an interchangeable-lens digital SLR with advanced features for both manual and automated operation designed to satisfy photographers with the passion to create beautiful photographs. The D80 features a 10.2 effective megapixel DX Format CCD image sensor to provides high resolution and sharp detail.
The D80 uses Nikon's impressive 3D Color Matrix Metering II system to determine exposure; it's a substantially more sophisticated method than traditional multi-pattern metering systems. Nikon's 3D Color Matrix Metering II instantly and accurately evaluates brightness, color, contrast, selected focus area and subject-to-camera distance information, referencing the results against an onboard database of 30,000 scenes from actual photography. Variable center-weighted and spot metering are also available. You can also vary the size of the center-weighted area reading and the spot meter readings to correspond to to 11 focusing points.
The D80 offers a wide range of operation modes to suite different user preferences and use cases. The camera includes seven digital vari-programs plus programmed auto with flexible program, shutter-priority auto and manual: Digital vari-programs include: auto portrait, landscape, macro, close-up, sports, night landscape and night portrait, each of which automatically adjust for optimal results under varied conditions.
The flash system is sophisticated too. Nikon's acclaimed i-TTL flash control evaluates flash exposure with greater precision to achieve better automatic flash balance and deliver outstanding results with Nikon SB-600, SB-800 or SB-R200 Speedlights. The D80 also features a built-in i-TTL Speedlight for convenience and it can serve as a wireless commander to contol other i-TTL Speedlights.
Additional image control is provided by the Image Optimization mode: Optimize color, contrast, sharpening as well as other image settings according to the type of scene or output desired. Options include: normal, softer, vivid, more vivid, portrait, custom, black and white.
An in-camera image editing with retouching menu offers versatile in-camera editing features including: Nikon D-lighting, red-eye correction, image overlay, monochrome black and white, sepia and cyanotype along with skylight, warm tone, custom color filter effects and image trimming so you can crop creatively and print customized enlargements.
A built-in slideshow function with Pictmotion allows you to select a range of images, pick a style and add music for beautiful picture presentations delivered directly from the D80, viewable on either on the camera's LCD display or your TV. Effects include: slide-in, slide-out, fade-in, and fade-out.
- 10.2 Megapixels DX format sensor delivers up to 3,872 x 2,592-pixel files
- High-resolution Nikon image-processing engine: 12-bit image processing engine combines color independent analog pre-conditioning with improved image processing algorithms
- Instant 0.18 sec. start-up with fast 80ms shutter response
- Large, bright 0.94x optical glass viewfinder
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II, plus Variable Center-Weighted and Spot Metering
- 11-area AF system with Wide-area Center Segment and Auto-area AF functions
- Built-in autofocus motor for AF compatibility with huge range of earlier Nikon AF lenses
- Continuous shooting at up to 3 frames per second and up to 100 consecutive JPEG images
- Up to 2,700 images per battery charge
- Built-in Speedlight with Nikon i-TTL flash metering and two-group Wireless Commander
- 2.5" LCD monitor with 170-degree, wide-angle viewing
- In-Camera Image Editing with Retouching Menu
- Built-in Slideshow function with Pictmotion
Convenient and practical Nikon Total Imaging System add-ons include the MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack, offering extended shooting potential. The Wireless ML-L3 (IR) Remote Control and MC-DC1 Remote Cord options provide necessary camera stability when using long exposures for landscape and macro photography. Nikon's F bayonet lens mount design assures compatibility across the comprehensive range of AF and DX Nikkor lenses.