The AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 D ED IF AF-S II is a premium high-end telephoto autofocus lens for Nikon Digital SLR cameras and 35mm film SLR cameras. It's a thoroughly professional grade lens that produces top level sharpness, contrast, and color. It's narrow 6°10' angle of view, bright f/2.8 maximum aperture, and ultra fast AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) allow it to keep up with demanding fast paced sports and action. It's also an incredibly effective portrait lens outdoors or in large spaces because the 400mm f/2.8 D is able to precisely isolate narrow areas of background, compress perspective, and provide beautiful ultra shallow depth of field when desired.
The Nikon 400mm f/2.8 D ED IF AF-S II uses 11 elements in 9 groups (not including the protective front glass or 52mm drop-in filter), three of those elements are made of ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass and the results are simply superb. The f/2.8 maximum aperture produces a breath taking amount of pleasant background blur, allows access to fast shutter speeds, and makes shooting in dim light or with teleconverters possible.
Autofocus performance is ultra responsive thanks to a high speed AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) driving an internal focus mechanism that also allows full time manual focus override. The provided focus limit switch can further reduce AF seek time when in use by restricting the focus range to either infinity to 6m or 7m to close focus. Four exterior AF function buttons allow additional focus control and set-up customization.
Originally released in 2001 the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 D ED IF AF-S II (Nikon USA part# 2127) is an update of the previous Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 D ED IF AF-S (version I Nikon USA part# 1949) which includes significant weight reduction and a closer minimum autofocus distance. A newer Nikkor 400mm F/2.8 G ED IF AF-S VR was released in 2007 which added a Vibration Reduction system but also weight and expense. This model remains popular due to it's outstanding performance and lower price.
- Incredibly fast and sharp telephoto
- Superior lens for professional level sports & action photography
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture
- Equivalent to a 600mm when cropped to DX format
- Nine-blade rounded aperture diaphragm
- Produces beautiful background blur
- 3 ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements
- Internal Focus Design
- Strong high speed AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides quick and quiet autofocusing
- M/A mode provides full time instant manual focus override
- Four exterior AF function buttons
- Auto focuses to 3.5 meters, manual focuses to 3.4 meters
- Focus limit switch reduces AF seek time by restricting focus range
- Rotating tripod collar with strap mounts also serves as carry handle
- lightweight magnesium die-cast construction
- Mechanical aperture control allows use on broad range of cameras and adapters
Available accessories include the HK-27 Lens Hood, CT-402 Trunk Case, CL-L2 Ballistic Nylon Semi-Soft Lens Case, 52mm drop-in filters, and Nikon teleconverters