The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS NANO USM lens uniquely merges technology optimized for the photography and videography applications into a single versatile all-in-one multimedia tool for Canon APS-C DSLRs.
Canon's compact NANO USM focus system moves faster than the STM Stepper Motor in it's predecessor the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM yet still delivers the high positioning accuracy and silence videographers need; it's also faster and quieter than the micro motor in the original Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.
Videographers and photographers have long had diverging needs from zoom mechanisms: still photographers want the freedom to suddenly zoom to any lens focal length position without any hesitation or delay, yet videographers appreciate smooth consistent zoom transitions that don't distract or cause unwanted movements and vibrations. To bridge the zoom method divide and offer new remote operation capabilities, Canon has designed the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS NANO USM to work with it's own dedicated power zoom attachment: the Canon Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1. The PZ-E1 offers 10 different speed levels via controls for Zoom Speed (Fast & Slow) and a sensitive multi-position T/W (Tele/Wide) toggle that will feel quite familiar for motorized zoom users. Full zoom range pulls at take around 3 seconds at maximum speed and around tens seconds at minimum speed. The PZ-E1 has a convenient MZ/PZ (Manual Zoom, Power Zoom) mode switch (also the off/on selector). The PZ-E1 securely locks onto and effortlessly detaches from the bottom of the lens quickly and runs on it's own power of 4 AAA batteries. Perhaps the best thing about the PZ-E1 combined with the EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS NANO USM is that they communicate via a data connection and allow remote zoom capability via Canon's Camera Connect app for smartphones paired with compatible cameras.
If you want an all purpose lens to enjoy the best of the photo, video, and remote control worlds the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS NANO USM is an excellent choice
- All in one zoom lens designed specifically for APS-C format EF-S bodies*
- Versatile walk around travel lens
- Equipped with new NANO USM technology combining Ring USM and STM for smooth and near-silent video and high-speed AF for still capture
- Improved focusing speed of up to 4.3x** (Tele) and 2.5x** (Wide) for faster autofocus
- Compatible with new Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1, providing electrical zooming that helps deliver more natural zooming while shooting video
- Image Stabilizer helps preserve sharpness
- Dynamic IS helps reduce camera shake when shooting video for improved image quality even when the user is in motion
- One UD lens and one PMo aspheric lens help provide high-resolution and high-contrast images with reduced chromatic aberration throughout the zoom range
- Premium exterior design includes a satin finish, sleek silhouette, black ring and metallic mount for high performance with a sophisticated look and feel
- EF-S Lens Mount*
Available accessories include the Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1, Lens Hood EW-73D and 67mm filters
*Compatibility Note: exclusively for use with EF-S Mount bodies including the Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 7D, 7D Mark II, & Digital Rebel series cameras. Not compatible with the Canon D30, D60, 10D, or APS-H, or full 35mm frame bodies. Attempting to mount to an incompatible body may cause damage. ** Based on Canon's standards. As compared to the EF-S 18?135mm f/3.5?5.6 IS STM.