The Speedlite 550EX is a profesional grade flash for Canon EOS cameras. It's a powerful and sophisticated flash that offers many refinements and improvements over Canon's previous top of the line 540EZ flash. Unlike it's predecessor, the 550EX is compatible with digital EOS cameras and film EOS cameras. Because it's capable of producing pre-exposure test flashes, the 550EX is compatible with EOS bodies that employ the first generation E-TTL camera flash system introduced in 1998 and also with EOS bodies using the newer improved E-TTL II metering system introduced in 2005.
Speedlite 550EX was originally introduced as the main component of the EX series flash system designed with the EOS-3 SLR camera. It provides full compatibility with the area AF technology employed by the EOS-3 and it's E-TTL autoflash metering. Other main features include a maximum Guide Number of 180 (ISO 100, feet), an AF-assist beam which links to the EOS-3's 45-point area AF, FP Flash (high speed sync), FE lock (a flash version of AE lock), and FEB (Flash Exposure Bracketing). The Speedlite 550EX also incorporates a built-in wireless transmitter, which can control other Speedlite 550EX and 420EX units set up as slave units. On camera, flash coverage can be set to automatically adjust from 24mm to 105mm (35mm format). A flip down wide-angle panel broadens the coverage to 17mm (35mm format). The 550EX runs on 4 AA-size batteries, and can also be used with optional external power supplies such as Compact Battery Pack E and Transistor Pack E for fater recycling. Recycling times are also faster than those experienced with the Speedlite 540EZ.
- Compatible with all Canon EOS cameras, digital or film
- Strong 180 Guide Number (ISO 100 in ft)
- Head tilts upwards and swivels side to side for maximum bounce flexibility
- Informative display screen with backlight
- Segmented distance scale allows estimation of output needed versus recycle time
- External battery pack connection
- Autofocus assit beam helps AF in low lighting
- Dedicated switch for setting Master or Slave Wireless modes
- Supports Flash Exposure Compensation & Flash Exposure Bracketing in 1/2 and 1/3 stop increments
- Stroboscopic mode
- Supports High Speed FP Sync, Rear Curtain Sync, and FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
Available accessories include Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2, Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3, ST-E2 Transmitter, Speedlight 420EX, Compact Battery Pack E.