Canon's EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM is a professional quality all-in-one lens that provides an amazingly wide & long 10.7x zoom range. Though quite handy and relatively compact the complex mission of the 28-300mm L is versatile easy subject selection and framing while delivering the best possible image quality.
The EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM's optical design employs three Aspherical and three UD (Ultra low Dispersion) elements among it's 22 element design along with the multicoating, precision assembly and rigorous quality control pros expect from Canon's top of the line lenses. The aperture design is circular for beautiful blur too. Optical Image Stabilization helps preserve details that might otherwise be lost to camera/lens shake. Close focusing is .7m and delivered by a powerful ring-type USM drive provides silent, high-speed auto focusing as well as full time manual focus override and a dedicated focus limit switch is also provided (∞-2.5m). The weather sealed metal exterior also features a convenient rotating and removable tripod ring.
The EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM was introduced in 2004 to effectively replace the Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM; while it gives up a bit of telephoto magnification that's a small tradeoff for wider focal lengths (most welcomed on cropped sensors), a newer motor, and Image Stabilization.
The Canon 28-300 L is like a love letter to photojournalists saying: for those who want it all here's one lens that can do it all. Smaller, lighter and less expensive 28-300mm lenses certainly exist but they certainly don't deliver the level of pro quality performance and reliable consistency that makes the 28-300mm what it is: a Canon L series lens. When you need to be ready, for anything in an instant, with one lens, that makes as few compromises as possible, the 28-300mm is as good as it gets.
- Professional level all-in-one zoom
- Ideal for fast paced documentary, photojournalism, and travel photography
- 10.7x zoom range allows maximum framing options without changing lenses
- Dependable L series optics
- Great performance across the broad zoom range
- Circular aperture for beautiful blur
- Two modes of Image Stabilization
- Fast ring type USM focus motor
- Focus limit switch
- Focuses to .7m (2.3ft)
- IR focus shift marked on focusing scale
- Full time manual focus override
- Push pull zoom mechanism
- Zoom fiction adjustment control
- Weather resistant construction
- Rotating removable tripod collar (Tripod Mount Ring C)
- Uses 77mm filters
Available accessories include EW-83G Lens Hood, LZ1324 Lens Case, 500D 77mm Close-Up Lens, EF Extension Tubes, 77mm filters.