The Canon EOS 40D is a medium sized prosumer 10 megapixel digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera designed for enthusiasts and action photographers.
Offered as a replacement for the 30D and a step up from the entry level Digital Rebel series of cameras like the Rebel XTi, the 40D enjoys additional features and more robust construction. Build quality on the 40D is good, the magnesium alloy body has environmental sealing to help keep out dust and moisture. A vibrating self cleaning anti-dust mechanism has been worked into the filter directly in front of the 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor. The Canon DIGIC III image processor provides 14 bit A/D (analog to digital) conversion for increased tonal range. The image processing system can buffer bursts of up to 75 jpegs at a time and the shutter is capable of running at 6.5 fps (frames per second).
Other highlights and improvements include LiveView for composing images on screen, a larger 3" LCD screen, a brighter viewfinder, 9 Cross Type (extended sensitivity) autofocus points, interchangeable focussing screens, improved menu navigation, and additional custom functions.
- Self cleaning 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor
- APS-C size sensor (1.6x crop compared to full frame 35mm format)
- Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S mount lens
- ISOs from 100 - 1600 (expandable to 3200)
- Continuous burst shooting at 6.5 fps
- LiveView on 3.0 inch, 230,000 pixel LCD display
- Auto pop-up E-TTL II autoflash
- Hotshoe for external flashes (E-TTL II with Canon EX Series Speedlites)
- JPEG , RAW, & RAW + JPEG file options
- CF (Compact Flash) Card slot
- Magnesium alloy housing with environmental sealing
Available accessories include the WFT-E3/E3A wireless grip, BG-E2N Vertical Grip, BP-511A batteries, Canon EX Series E-TTL Speedlites, Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
Welcome to the next generation of digital SLR photography-the Canon EOS 40D. The EOS 40D combines Canon's tremendous know-how in both the digital and photographic worlds, creating a camera that not only does everything one would expect of a traditional digital SLR, but one that incorporates staggering leaps forward in technological innovation. With new features like Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Live View Function, a more powerful DIGIC III Image Processor, plus a 10.1-megapixel CMOS sensor, a 3.0-inch LCD monitor and more, the EOS 40D elevates digital photography to new heights, enhancing the shooting experience, and delivering images one could only expect from a Canon.
Live View Function is a powerful feature on the EOS 40D. It enables viewing your subjects directly on the huge 3-inch LCD monitor. It's easy to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. But now, one press of the AF-on button gives instant access to AF; Live View Function returns as soon as the button is released. Users can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the Studio, Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the EOS 40D's USB connection, or wirelessly or via Ethernet with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A attached. Live View Function also adds a totally new method for near-silent shooting, with two silent shooting modes. A new AF ON button, positioned for easy reach with the right thumb, can instantly allow AF whenever it's depressed in Live View Function. (Live View Function is temporarily cleared for AF, and returns immediately when the user's thumb is removed from the button.)
- Name: Canon EOS 40D
- Sensor Size: APS-C (22.2 x 14.8 mm)
- Sensor Type: CMOS
- Resolution: 3888 x 2592
- Other Resolutions: 2816 x 1880, 1936 x 1288
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (H)
- File Formats: RAW, JPEG (Fine, Normal)
- Lens Mount: Canon EF/EF-S
- Shutter Speeds: 30 sec to 1/8000 sec
- Continuous Shooting (fps): 6.5 fps
- Flash: Yes, pop-up
- Compatible with hot-shoe and E-TTL II external flashes
- Flash Modes: Auto, On, Red-eye reduction, off
- Flash Range: 12.00 m (ISO 100)
- Exposure Modes: Aperature Priority, Manual, Program Auto, Shutter Priority, Auto
- White Balance Modes: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash, Custom
- Self Timer: 2 sec, 10 sec
- Viewfinder: Eye-level pentaprism
- Viewfinder Coverage: 95%
- Display Screen: 3"
- Memory Card Type: Compact Flash Type I & II
- Dimensions: 145.5 x 107.8 x 73.5 mm (5.7 x 4.2 x 2.9 inches)
- Weight: 740g (26.1oz)