The Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS is a portrait lens for Nikon SLR cameras. It's an excellent optic in a well made compact housing with a convenient built-in lens hood. It's classic conventional 5 element 4 group optical design produces sharp in-focus areas and renders beautiful background blur in images.
Originally released in 1981 the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS was an affordable yet high quality lens choice of countless Nikon photographers. The Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AIS was a higher end lens option than the Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8 economy lens available at the same time. An even higher end Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS lens was also released in 1981 but far fewer were sold in part due to a considerable price difference. These newer AIS models replaced the previous Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI which lacked a built-in hood.
It's a delight to use the 105mm because it takes good images, focuses smoothly, is pretty light to handhold, and the hood is always ready to deploy without effort or delay. The 105mm f/2.5 AIS is a super handy lens for any manual focus Nikon user to have in their bag. It's an especially terrific lens for photographing people but it's really a fun lens for taking pictures of places too..
- Popular manual focus short telephoto portrait lens
- Excellent sharpness, contrast & color
- f/2.5 maximum aperture produces good amount of background blur
- Renders beautiful pleasing out of focus areas
- Compact design
- Convenient built-in lens hood
- Classic Nikon color coded depth of field scale
- Infra-red focus mark
- Mechanical aperture control allows use on broad range of cameras and adapters
- Uses the popular 52mm filter size
Available accessories include the CL-32S Lens Case and 52mm filters.