The Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D ED RF Aspherical is an autofocus capable ultrawide-angle rectilinear lens for F-Mount Nikon SLR cameras (digital and 35mm film). The 14mm f/2.8D is one of Nikon's very widest lenses: only the rare manual focus Nikkor 13mm f/5.6 and fisheyes surpass it's field of view.
The lens produces a breath taking 114° (diagonal) field of view on FX format cameras. The 14mm f/2.8D's uses a rectilinear lens design which renders straight lines (unlike fisheye lens designs, which curve images much more). The 14mm f/2.8D is able to exaggerate the size of subjects close to the lens, forcing perspective with a striking impression of three-dimensionality, stretching out the apparent space between foreground and background, without distracting fisheye distortion.
The optical design uses 14 elements in 12 groups to produce excellent images with great contrast and color. The highly corrected optics include an ED (Extra low Dispersion) element and two Aspherical elements to minimize abberations and distortion while Nikon's SIC (Super Integrated Coating) multi-layer antireflective coating and a built-in lens hood help keep colors rich and minimize flare. The robust fixed focal length design results in a relatively compact & lightweight yet bright lens.
Originally released in the year 2000 the Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D (Nikon USA product # 1925) has earned a reputation as a much loved workhorse of photojournalists and landscape photographers seeking angles of view not possible with zooms. In 2007 Nikon introduced the 14-24mm f/2.8 G with an all new zoom optical design, coating advances, and a built-in motor. The 14-24mm is a remarkable lens but the original 14mm f/2.8 D remains a popular alternative and great value thanks to excellent image quality, broader compatibility, a more compact form factor, and lower pricing.
- Ultra wide angle rectilinear lens
- Covers Full 35mm Frame & FX format sensors
- 114° angle-of-view
- 90° angle-of-view on DX sensor crop (21mm equivalent)
- Wide dramatic views even in confined spaces
- Superb image quality
- Two Aspheric lens elements
- ED (Extra low Dispersion) glass element
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC) reduces reflections and glare
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture
- Focuses down to .2m (.66ft) inches
- Amazing depth of field
- Depth of field scale (marked at f/4, f/8, f/11 & f/16)
- Infra-red focus mark
- Rear focusing design for fast autofocus* (requires AF motor in camera)
- Built-in Lens Hood
- Compact design
- Classic AF Nikkor construction and styling
- "D" chip transmits distance information to compatible bodies for improved flash metering and exposure
- Built-in rear filter holder accepts gelatin filters
- Mechanical aperture control ring enables use on broadest possible range of cameras
Available accessories include CL-S2 Soft Case, Slip-On Front Lens Cover (Nikon USA Part # 4395), LF-1 Rear Lens Cap, LF-4 Rear Lens Cap*Compatibility note: autofocus with this lens requires a camera that has a built-in focus motor.