The Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G Aspherical ED IF DX AF-S is a mid range zoom lens for Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. It's a compact lens that covers a convenient zoom range starting at wide angle and going all the way to a good portrait focal length.
The 18-70mm was originally released in 2004 positioned as a mid-tier DX lens that was a step-up from the more basic 18-55mm lens. The 18-70mm is well made with a metal lens mount, good fit and finish, an internal focus design, is well balanced, and it uses noticeably more glass than an 18-55mm lens. The zoom range covers an equivalent field of view to what a 28-105mm lens would produce on a full frame camera. This lens is a good option for those who want an inexpensive lens with a bit more reach and a bit more brightness on it's long end. It's a seriously great value in a versatile general purpose lens. Users looking for VR or a bit more reach should consider the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR which replaced 18-70mm.
- Compact 3.8x zoom with optics designed and optimized specifically for DX format sensors
- Zoom range covers portrait, standard, and wide angle focal lengths
- 3 ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements plus an aspheric element for low distortion and minimized chromatic aberration
- IF (Internal Focus) design
- Fast AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides fast and quiet autofocus
- M/A mode for instant switching from auto focus to manual
- compatible with all Nikon D series digital SLR cameras
Available accessories inclue the HB-32 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-0915 Case, and 67mm size filters