The Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED IF is fixed focal length for F-Mount Nikon 35mm film and digital SLR cameras. Designed for both pros and serious photography enthusiasts, the 300mm f/4 is a well built lens that takes excellent images. The f/4 maximum aperture is brighter than most 300mm lenses too. Optically superb, it's not encumbered by the design tradeoffs and extra glass that zooms require. Two ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements are part of the time-tested fully mulit-coated 8 element 6 group Internal Focus optical design.
The f/4 maximum aperture is brighter than most 300mm lenses. The extra aperture makes it easier to see through the camera viewfinder and use faster shutter speeds in dim available light. The f/4 aperture also allows additional background blur with it's shallower depth of field.
The 300mm f/4 is robustly constructed, fit and finish are excellent (as one expects from an upper end Nikon Lens) including the attractive classic Nikon crinkle covering. With no motors or zoom mechanisms to wear out the lens enjoys a good reputation for reliability.
The Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED IF was originally released in 1987. A newer version, the Nikkor 300mm F/4 D ED IF AF-S was released in 2000 but the original model remains popular due to it's appealing combination of performance and reliability at a modest price.
The 300mm f/4 ED IF remains a popular choice for landscape and nature photography but it's also a dynamite outdoor portrait lens. Lots of telephoto lenses cover the focal 300mm focal length, far fewer 300mm lenses do so as sharply or brightly.
- Pro level f/4 maximum aperture fixed focal length telephoto lens
- Moderate size
- Relatively light weight
- Outstanding sharpness, contrast and color
- Two ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements
- IF (Internal Focus) design
- Adjustable focus stop can be set at any distance
- Convenient and compact built-in lens hood
- Excellent balance and handling
- Built-in rotating tripod mount makes vertical framing easy
- Accepts both 95mm filters and 39mm drop-in filters
- Mechanical Aperture control allows use on widest possible range of bodies and adapters
- Classic Nikon crinkle finish
Available accessories include the C-PL1S drop in circular polarizer filter and CL-42 Case.
Compatibility note: autofocus with this lens requires a camera that has a built-in focus motor.