Designed as a truly versatile workhorse camera for many professional disciplines, the D2X blends for the first time the high levels of resolution commercial clients demand with superb image quality, color consistency and class-leading speed. The D2X delivers high image quality using brand new innovations that produce ultra sharp images with very fine gradations and smooth color transitions across the color range -- all while maintaining impeccable color accuracy, even when shooting under rapidly changing light. High resolution is achieved by an all-new 12.4 million pixel DX Format CMOS image sensor and a new image processing engine that works seamlessly with optimized systems throughout the camera. Even with this tremendous resolution, the D2X can comfortably shoot full resolution images at 5 frames per second (up to 21 consecutive JPEGS and 15 NEFs).
Professionals need their cameras to be as fast as they are. Therefore, similar to the blazing fast D2H, the D2X adopts a holistic approach to speed. The camera is ready to shoot the instant it is turned on and has an almost imperceptible 37ms shutter lag time, an astounding achievement at this resolution level. Using a new high-speed 4-channel output method, and improved speed of transferring image data from the image sensor to a memory card, the D2X is capable of shooting 5 frames per second at full 12.4 megapixel resolution for up to 21 JPEGs or 15 NEFs. The camera's unique High Speed Cropped Image mode allows photographers to achieve an even higher continuous shooting rate of 8 frames per second by using a dual area sensor that records only 6.8 million pixels in the center of the sensor. While photographers are satisfied with 5 frames per second for most applications, this new mode gives them the duality of having the option to shoot at faster framing rates for specific situations, within one camera body.
- 12.4 (effective) megapixel Nikon DX format CMOS Sensor
- Lightweight, durable magnesium body
- Powerful image processing engine designed to produce optimum image quality and high-speed 4-channel data outputs
- Improved 3D-Color Matrix Metering II with ambient light sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor delivers consistent and dependable automatic exposure
- Excellent response featuring instant start-up and ultra-short 37ms shutter release lag
- 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors delivers fast response and great precision for optimal performance under the most challenging shooting conditions
- High-speed continuous shooting: 5 frames per second (fps) at full resolution for up to 17 consecutive NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) or 22 JPEG images; 8 fps for 29 NEF or 35 JPEG images at 6.8 megapixels in High-speed Crop mode
- High-speed Crop mode allows shooting at a 2x FOV crop and lets the photographer see what's just out of frame
- Top shutter speed of 1/8,000 second and flash sync speeds up to 1/250 second
- Next Generation Color Reproduction
- Six color mode and color profile combinations
- Broad Color Mode Options
- Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor
- Creative in-camera effects with Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure
- Full support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System and i-TTL flash control when used with the SB-800, SB-600 or Wireless Close-Up Speedlight Systems
- Support for Capture NX
- GPS support
- Wireless support with the Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A
Available accessories include the Nikon SB-800 Speedlight, GP-1A GPS Unit, BL-1 Battery Chamber Cover, EN-EL4 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, BM-3 LCD Monitor Cover, MH-21 Quick Charger, EH-6A AC Adapter.