The Nikon D5000 is a Digital SLR camera with a rich set of capabilities designed to help you create sharp still images and movies. One of the few Nikon DSLRs with a flip-down Vari-Angle LCD Monitor, the D5000 makes it exciting to capture the world from a unique viewpoint with high quality 12 megapixel still images or 720p24 High Definition video.
The D5000 is one of just a handfull of Nikon DSLRs possessing a Vari-Angle LCD Monitor, this large high resolution moveable screen measures 2.7 inches across, opens downward and rotates side to side. Now you're ready to view, shoot and record your subjects from unique perspectives. Try a high angle for overhead shots, waist level for candid Live View and movie shooting, or a low vantage point for a look from ground level.
For ease of use the D5000 has 19 Scene Modes matching a diverse range of photographic situations. The six most popular modes can be found on the mode dial, while others can be selected by setting the dial to SCENE and rotating the command dial. Once you've decided on a scene mode, the camera automatically chooses the camera settings that will provide the best results. When using Nikon's Scene Modes, you don't have to worry about complex camera settings.
The D5000 was introduced in 2009 as the first of the new DX000 series of Nikon bodies. At launch the D5000 was positioned in between the Nikon D60 and Nikon D90 bodies in terms of capabilities. The D5000 was a step-up from the entry level Nikon D3000 and a step down from the Nikon D7000 after their introduction. In 2011 Nikon released the D5100 as a replacement.
Overall, the D5000 is a nice compact blend of simplicity and D-SLR capabilities. Anyone wanting to take better pictures without complex controls or settings should seriously consider this camera. It's a terrific camera and it's excellent affordability level can make getting the lens you really want easier too.
- 12.3-megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor
- Built-in image sensor cleaning
- Low noise ISO sensitivity from 200 to 3200, (expandable to 6400)
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II
- 19 Auto-exposure Scene Modes
- Auto Active D-Lighting
- 11-point Autofocus System with 3D Focus Tracking
- Continuous shooting as fast as 4 frames per second
- Durable, high precision shutter
- 2.7" Vari-Angle color LCD monitor (bottom tilt & swivel)
- One-button Live View
- Face Detection in Live View
- 720p24 D-Movie Mode with sound
- Picture Control Settings for personal image control
- In-camera Retouch image editing
Available accessories include EN-EL9 Rechargeable Batteries, MH-23 Quick Charger, the optional GP-1 GPS unit, and Nikkor AF-S lenses.