The Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D is an ultra-wide-angle prime autofocus lens for F-Mount Nikon 35mm film SLR and digital SLR camera bodies.
The lens produces a generous 94° (diagonal) field of view on FX format cameras. Compared to a 24mm lens it produces a 10° wider view and compared to a 28mm lens it produces a 20° wider view. The 20mm f/2.8D uses a rectilinear lens design which renders straight lines unlike fisheye lens designs (which curve images much more). The 20mm f/2.8D is able to exaggerate the size of subjects close to the lens, forcing perspective with a striking impression of three-dimensionality, stretching out the apparent space between foreground and background, without distracting fisheye distortion. The rectilinear design and ultra field of view make the 20mm f/.8 D a good lens choice for landscape photography as well as shooting architecture and even photographing larger events or weddings.
The optical design uses 12 SIC (Super Integrated Coating) multi-coated elements in 9 groups in a CRC (Close Range Corrected) design which uses floating lens elements to maintain maximum sharpness from infinity all the way down to the close focus distance of 10 inches. The CRC system and ample depth of field allow you park a flower in the foreground and still have a great landscape in the background.
The fixed focal length results in a very compact lightweight yet bright lens ideal for travel whether you're backpacking on a trail or trying to save space in your flight carry-on.
Originally released in 1994 the Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D (Nikon USA product # 1913) is an update to the popular Nikkor 20mm f/2.8; both models have identical optics but this newer version features a D chip that conveys distance information to compatible cameras for more accurate TTL flash exposure metering.
- Compact ultra-wide-angle rectilinear lens
- 94-degree angle of view
- Superb optical design
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC) anti-reflective coatings prevent lens flare and ghosting
- CRC (Close-Range Correction) design delivers high performance at both near and far focusing distances
- Focuses as close as 0.85 feet
- Tremendous depth of field
- Convenient marked depth-of-field scale
- Classic AF Nikkor construction and styling
- Mechanical aperture control ring enables use on broadest possible range of cameras
- "D" chip transmits distance information to compatible bodies for improved flash metering and exposure
- Uses the popular 62mm filter size
Available accessories include the HB-4 Bayonet Lens Hood for preventing lens glare and flare, the CL-S2 Soft Lens Case for protection, and 62mm filters.