The AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G is a normal lens for Nikon SLR Cameras. It's useable on both Full Frame FX format and DX format digital SLRs. The AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G is useable on many late model Nikon film cameras too *. The lens is an update that adds a built-in focus motor and upgraded optics to one of Nikon's most popular focal length and aperture combinations. It's sometimes referred to as a 'normal' or 'standard' lens because it produce a field of view roughly matching the human eye and are not considered wide angle or telephoto but rather in-between. All in all it's a modern classic.
The AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G is an especially good choice for anyone learning photography. The f/1.8 aperture allows experimentation with shallower depth of field and shooting in lower lighting. The fixed focal length forces a photographer to think more concretely about the compositional and perspective effects of physically moving the camera rather than complacently relying on a zoom mechanism to change framing. It's also an especially affordable way for a photographer to experience the level of sharpness and contrast possible from even higher end lenses. Being unencumbered by the optical compromises zoom lenses have to make, the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G more compact, sharper, and brighter than most zooms while still being one of the more inexpensive Nikon lenses available.
- Popular normal lens with updated optics and mechanics
- Incorporates an Aspheric element that reduces optical aberrations
- Nikon SIC (Super Integrated Coating)
- AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides ultra fast and quiet focus
- M/A focus setting allows full time manual focus override
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture is excellent for viewing and shooting in low light
- f/1.8 aperture produces wonderful background blur with shallow depth of field
- Can be used as a portrait lens on DX-format cameras
- Front allows mounting of the Bayonet Lens Hood HB-47
- A great classic lens choice for all photographers from students to enthusiasts
Available accessories include the protective Flexible Lens Pouch CL-1013, Bayonet Lens Hood HB-47 (to help prevent lens flare and glare which reduces contrast), 58mm filters.
*Film Camera compatibility: manual aperture control requires a camera with it's own aperture setting controls such as the N55, N80, F100 or later Nikon models. Autofocus requires a Nikon F4, N70, N90 or later model that supports powering the AF-S motor.