AF-S Nikkor VR 70-200mm f/2.8 ED IF is a high performance telephoto zoom lens for Nikon FX and DX format digital SLR cameras (also compatible with select late model 35mm film SLRs). The 70-200mm VR features Nikon's AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor), VR (Vibration Reduction prevents blur from camera shake for sharp images) and IF (Internal Focusing). It also employs five ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements to minimize chromatic aberration, thus providing superior optical performance at all apertures. The Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation. The VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops faster worth of stability. The Active vibration mode is perfect for using in cars, boats or planes. High-performance Nikon Super Intergrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimizes ghost and flare. Its rounded 9-blade diaphragm helps create pleasant natural bokeh. The G design incorporates distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes.
- Ultra-versatile telephoto zoom lens
- Professional grade
- Covers FX (full frame 35mm) format
- 35mm format equivalent focal length range of 105-300mm on DX format crop
- Superior image quality with excellent contrast,color, and sharpness
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture stays constant through zoom range
- VR (Vibration Reduction) optical image stabilization
- AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for fast and quiet AF
- Internal focus and full time manual focus override
- Focuses down to 1.5m (4.9ft) with autofocus, 1.4m (4.6ft) with manual focus
- Convenient rotating and removable tripod mount, makes vertical framing easy
- Uses popular 77mm filters, non-rotating filter ring
Available accessories include: reversible HB-29 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-M2 Ballistic Nylon Lens Case, and Nikon TC-14E II, TC-14E III, TC-17E II, TC-20E II teleconverters.
The Nikon 70-200 VR is the work horse lens and standard fair for the sports photographer. Really it's the basic pro zoom for any photographer needing a complete lens to round out your system.
Not for the faint of heart, it's a pro lens that's well built and has significant weight to it. The VR feature is awesome and most will need it when hand holding the lens. The AF is pretty quick and the glass renders very sharp images. It's an F2.8 lens so it's great for low light situations also, there's not much that this lens cannot do. I could see this appealing to fashion photographers, journalists and those shooting sports. I've loved shooting the lens because it's so versatile. - Michael Reese