The Lumix DMC-G85 is a solid SLR style Micro Four Thirds format mirrorless digital camera by Panasonic. Not to be confused with the rangefinder styled Lumix DMC-GX85, the Lumix DMC-G85 has an SLR layout with the viewfinder centered over the lens and a larger more ergonomic hand grip. Designed for photography enthusiasts, the G85 takes great pictures simply while providing a myriad of with tools to enable artistic expression at any level.
The G85 has a 16MP image sensor that doesn't use an AA (Anti-Aliasing) optical low pass filter. By skipping the AA filter, additional fine detail is preserved for maximum sharpness. The sensor also preserves sharpness with a 5-Axis Sensor Shift I.S. (Image Stabilization) which also works with any lens (including use in conjunction with Optically stabilized lenses in a Dual I.S. configuration). A new shutter design minimizes vibrations considerably more than earlier models while also being quieter.
Extra clarity extends to videography as well where the camera offers 4K resolution at 30 and 24 frames per second. The DMC-G85's 4K power extends still photography too where 4K burst options can pull still images while recording 4K video at 30 fps in high resolution. The G85 also offers a 8MP 4k 'Pre-Burst' photo mode that continuously buffers images and records 30 frames from the second before the shutter released is pressed and 30 frames from the second after the button is pressed; you'll never miss a moment again. There's also a Post Focus mode that makes selection of a focus bracketed burst a breeze on the large side swiveling touchscreen. The DMC-G85 also features an all new in-camera focus-stacking mode for shots with everything in-focus.
With a huge lineup from the Lumix G DSLM system, the Lumix G85 is compatible with over 20 interchangeable Panasonic lenses. When used with Panasonic lenses, the G85 employs Depth-From-Defocus (DFD) Auto Focus (AF) technology to quickly brings the subject into focus. The camera can process full resolution 16MP images with Continuous Auto Focus (AFC) at up to 6 frames per second (up to 9 fps without SAF). Panasonic also added Low Light Auto Focus (Starlight AF) to accurately focus at -4EV low light situations and beautifully capture the night sky.
The G85 is robustly constructed, splash and dust sealed body features an intuitive dial for selecting shooting modes along with well laid out and 9 re-configurable buttons (4 exterior 5 touchscreen) for quick access to commonly used settings. The Lumix DMC-G85 also features brilliant viewing with nearly 100% color reproduction through a high resolution 2.36 million-dot OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) viewfinder at 0.74x magnification or via the 3.0" side swiveling touch-screen LCD monitor. The 3" monitor's side swivel and tilting design allows viewing from a wide range of high and low angles for added creativity and convenience and is perfect for getting in the shot. Using the touch control, focus simply by touching the subject on the screen.
Explore your imaginative side with Creative Control Modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
The G85 is also marketed internationally as the G80.
- Compact SLR form factor mirrorless camera for enthusiasts
- Micro Four Thirds mount
- No AA low pass filter for increased detail
- 16MP (4592x3448) CMOS sensor
- 5-axis Sensor Shift I.S. (Image Stabilization)
- Dual I.S. system so camera & lens stabilizers can work together
- Supersonic wave filter dust reduction system
- 49 points contrast detection AF system
- Uses DFD (Depth From Defocus) for AutoFocus with Panasonic Lenses
- ISOs from 200-25,600 (expandable to ISO 100)
- Full resolution stills at up to 9fps (6fps with continous focus)
- 2160p30/24 video capture (100Mbps)
- 4K photo (8MP) burst shooting at 30fps
- 4K photo Pre-Burst captures 60 images 1sec before & after shutter release
- Post-Focus burst mode: easily pick a focus bracketed shot
- In-camera Focus Stacking
- 2.36 million-dot OLED EVF (Electronic ViewFinder)
- Side swivel touchscreen 3-inch 16x9 LCD monitor
- 1728-zone multi-pattern metering system
- Time lapse & stop motion animation modes
- Mic-In, HDMI (Micro Type-D), Micro USB 2.0 connections
- UHS-II compatible SDXC card slot
- WiFi (802.11n) connectivity
- Built-in TTL Flash & hotshoe
- 1/160s flash sync speed
- 9 reprogrammable Fn (Function) buttons (4 physical, 5 on touchscreen)
- Rugged splash and dust proof exterior
- Weighs only 505g (1.1 lbs) with card & battery
Available accessories include: DMW-BGG1 Battery Grip, DMW-BLC12 Batteries, Panasonic DMW-FL580L Hybrid Light, Panasonic DMW-FL360L Hybrid Light, Panasonic DMW-FL200L Hybrid Light, Lumix Micro Four Thirds Lenses, other Micro Four Thirds Lenses.