The Pentax P30n is an economical manual focus 35mm film SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera that uses Pentax K-Mount interchangeable lenses. The P30N was released in 1988 as a replacement for the original Pentax P30. Though both models are nearly identical looking and have nearly identical specifications, the P30n has one subtle yet important improvement: the addition of Aperture Priority AE capability. Aperture Priority autoexposure allows a photographer to pick a specific working f/stop while the camera sets the appropriate shutter speed automatically. Many photographers find aperture priority the perfect balance of control over depth of field without the hassle of manually adjusting the other exposure variable to match.
Just like it's predecessor, the P30n has a Depth-Of-Field Preview lever, only offers automatic ISO setting via DX film code reading (non-DX coded film defaults to ISO 100), has an LED meter display, and still offers standard manual exposure and Program Auto-Exposure modes. The Program mode requires electrical contacts for lens to body communication; so a KA-Mount version of the K-mount like an SMC-A lens (or newer styles like KAF) is necessary for full lens compatibility. SMC-M lenses lenses can still be used, but only in the Manual and Aperture Priority exposure modes.
- Manual focus 35mm film SLR camera with mechanical advance/rewind
- Fixed microprism/ horizontal split image matte focusing screen
- Pentax KA bayonet lens mount
- Depth-of-Field Preview
- Auto DX code reading (only) ISO/ASA film speed range: 25-1600
- Film loaded window
- GPD (Gallium Photo Diode) light metering cell
- Manual metering and Program AE (Auto-Exposure) modes (only)
- Center-weighted light metering pattern
- LED metering display
- Viewfinder info includes: shutter speed, metering function, flash ready signal
- M.L. Meter Lock (Auto-Exposure lock)
- Electronically controlled, vertical moving metal blade shutter by Seiko (MFC-E7)
- Shutter speeds from 1/1000 to 1 second, B (Bulb), 1/100x
- 1/100 sec flash sync speed
- Stepless shutter speeds in Program mode
- Hotshoe, dedicated Program auto-flash communication (not TTL)
- Integral ergonomic grip
- Cable release socket
- Electronic Self-timer
- Uses two SR44/LR44/MS76 type batteries
Available accessories include: Pentax K-Mount lenses, DX coded 35mm film, dedicated flashes, Diopter Correction lenses M.