The Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Aspherical DI II VC PZD (Tamron part# B008N) is an ultra-compact all purpose zoom lens for Nikon DSLR cameras with DX sized sensors. The lens features a new Peizo Drive motor for faster and smoother autofocusing performance than previous Tamron models. The B008 combines all encompassing wide angle views and powerful telephoto capabilities into a single compact and convenient all-in-one lens with outsized performance; the perfect vacation or trip lens, it's ready for anything in the world. This versatile responsive lens allows you to travel light without having to worry about missing shots.
The lens is part of Tamron's Di II (Digitally Integrated Design II) line of lenses. Di II lenses have optics designed specifically for the unique challenges and performance characteristics of 24x16mm sized digital sensors such as increased pixel density and sensor reflectivity. For decades Tamron has been an industry leader in developing compact all-in-one zoom lenses using innovative optical technologies; the B008 benefits greatly as the continued evolution of this engineering experience and precision manufacturing expertise.
While extremely handy, super zoom lenses face significant hurdles to produce high quality results. Tamron solves these challenges in part by using a great deal of sophisticated optical materials. To help combat aberrations and minimize distortion the 18-270mm DI II VC employs three Aspherical elements (one Hybrid Aspherical & two molded glass Aspherical), two LD (Low Dispersion) elements, one AD (Anomalous partial Dispersion) element, and new BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) coatings in it's 13 group formulation of 16 fully multicoated elements . The resultant images exhibit great contrast color and clarity.
The lens also contains Tamron's innovative three coil VC (Vibration Compensation) system which reduces loss of sharpness due to hand held camera shake so images retain as much sharpness as possible; it's an invaluable feature in a walk around lens as it lets you effectively use slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible without a tripod.
The lens has a black finish with a nice texture and a convenient zoom lock switch which prevents gravity from extending the double telescoping zoom mechanism when hanging from a camera strap.
The B008 was introduced in late 2010 as an improved design building on the success of the previous B003 model. In 2014 Tamron introduced a Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD with an even broader zoom range (and higher price). The 18-270mm PZD remains a current model and excellent value model.
- Powerful all-in-one lens for Nikon DSLRs
- Ultra compact form factor
- Fast responsive PZD (Piezo Drive) autofocus motor for smoother AF performance
- Designed exclusively for DX format and 24x16mm size sensors
- For Nikon F-Mount (G Type)
- Di II (Digitally Integrated Design II) optics optimized for higher pixel density and sensor reflectance
- 15x Zoom range versatility
- Equivalent to a 35mm format 29-432mm lens
- High quality optical design with 16 elements in 13 groups
- 3 Aspherical lens elements (1 Hybrid Aspherical & 2 molded Aspherical)
- 2 LD (Low Dispersion) glass elements
- 1 AD (Anomalous partial Dispersion) element
- New BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) coatings
- Fully multicoated optics preserve contrast while reducing reflections and glare
- Great color, contrast and clarity
- VC (Vibration Compensation) reduces loss of image sharpness from camera/lens shake
- Circular aperture diaphragm (7 rounded blades)
- IF (Internal Focus) design and non-rotating filter ring
- Close focuses to 0.49m (19.3in)
- 1:3.8 macro capability
- Zoom lock switch prevents barrel extension while carrying
- Attractive black textured finish
- Weighs only 450g (15.9.4oz)
- Uses 62mm filters
Available accessories include: DA18 petal style bayonet lens hood and 62mm filters.