The 420EX Speedlite is a medium sized flash for Canon EOS cameras. This solid EOS system component combines great size and affordability with powerful features and sophistication. Much stronger than a built-in or low profile flash, the 420EX has respectable power and bounce flexibility without being as cumbersome to pack and carry as a larger full-sized pro unit like a 550EX series flash. It's a great travel flash or back-up unit or even slave unit to Canon's top of the line flashes.
Improving on the previous model, Speedlite 380EX, the 420EX has a head that can swivel left or right and the unit can also serve as remote slave flash triggered by a Canon 550 EX or ST-E2 commander.
The 420EX is compatible with digital EOS cameras and film EOS cameras. Because it's capable of producing pre-exposure test flashes, the 420EX is compatible with EOS bodies that employ the first generation E-TTL camera flash system introduced in 1998 and also with EOS bodies using the newer improved E-TTL II metering system first introduced in 2005.
In 2005 Canon released the upgraded 430EX with manual power output control, flip down ultra-wide diffuser, and faster recycle time. Because it has equivalent compatibility, equivalent maximum power, a dedicated slave mode switch, and a similar form factor at a lower price, the 420EX remains quite popular.
- Good output and recycling times
- Auto zoom head covers 24-105mm (full frame 35mm format)
- Compatible with all Canon EOS cameras, digital or film
- Strong Guide Number (ISO 100 meters) of 42
- Head tilts upwards 90°, swivels left 180° right 90° for bouncing
- AF assit beam helps autofocus in low lighting
- Dedicated switch for setting Slave Wireless mode
- Supports High Speed FP Sync, Rear Curtain Sync, FEL (Flash Exposure Lock), modeling flash
- More compact and lighter than 550EX
Available accessories include Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2, Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3, ST-E2 Transmitter, Speedlight 550EX, mini flash stand, case.