The 430EX Speedlite is a medium sized flash for Canon EOS cameras. This exciting addition to the EOS System combines compact size and affordability with an added dose of features and sophistication. Much stronger than a built-in or low profile flash, the 430EX has respectable power and bounce flexibility without being as cumbersome to pack and carry as a larger full-sized pro unit like a 580EX series flash. It's a great travel flash or back-up unit or slave unit to Canon's top of the line flashes.
Improving on the previous model, Speedlite 420EX, the new 430EX can now be set into a manual flash mode (full power~1/64) in full stop increments. Flash compensation can be set on the flash unit, and manual control of the flash head zoom position is now possible. Improvements in its circuitry make recycle times up to 40% faster.
The 430EX is compatible with digital EOS cameras and film EOS cameras. Because it's capable of producing pre-exposure test flashes, the 430EX is compatible with EOS bodies that employ the first generation E-TTL camera flash system introduced in 1998 and also with EOS bodies using the newer improved E-TTL II metering system first introduced in 2005.
In 2008 Canon released the 430EX II with a re-designed quick locking mechanism, menu refinements and slight faster recycle time. Because it has equivalent compatibility, just as much power, and similar controls at a lower price, the original 430EX remains quite popular.
- Good output with fast recycling times
- Auto zoom head covers 24-105mm (full frame 35mm format)
- Allows for manual control of the flash zoom head
- Flip down wide angle panel covers 14mm (full frame 35mm format)
- Zoom setting adjusts based on camera sensor size with compatible cameras
- Conveys color temperature information to camera
- Compatible with all Canon EOS cameras, digital or film
- Strong 141 Guide Number (ISO 100 in ft)
- Head tilts upwards 90°, swivels left 180° right 90° for bouncing
- Informative display screen with backlight
- AF assit beam helps autofocus in low lighting
- Dedicated switch for setting Slave Wireless mode
- Supports Flash Exposure Compensation in 1/2 and 1/3 stop increments
- Supports High Speed FP Sync, Rear Curtain Sync, FEL (Flash Exposure Lock), modeling flash
- 14% lighter and approx. 25% smaller in overall volume than 580EX
- Six built-in custom functions
Available accessories include Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2, Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3, ST-E2 Transmitter, Speedlight 580EX, mini flash stand, case.