The Speedlite 580EX is a high end on camera flash for Canon EOS cameras. It's a strong and capble flash that offers convenient refinements and improvements over Canon's previous top of the line 550EX flash.
Canon's top-of-the-line Speedlite has been thoroughly revised. It's smaller and lighter than ever, yet provides a bit more power with significantly faster recycling. A new Select Dial makes changes, like exposure compensation, a breeze. It now covers lenses as wide as 14mm, and has new features for digital SLRs - including the ability to transmit precise flash color temperature information, and vary the zoom setting to match the imaging sensor size.
The 580EX is compatible with digital EOS cameras and film EOS cameras. Because it's capable of producing pre-exposure test flashes, the 550EX is compatible with EOS bodies that employ the first generation E-TTL camera flash system introduced in 1998 and also with EOS bodies using the newer improved E-TTL II metering system first introduced in 2005. In 2007 Canon introduced the 580EX II which has some additional refinements like weather sealing. With similar output and controls at a lower price with equivalent compatibility, the original 580EX remains very popular.
- Strong output with fast recycling times
- Zoom setting adjusts based on camera sensor size with compatible cameras
- Relatively even illumination
- Conveys color temperature information to camera
- 180° swivel in left and right
- Vertical tilt
- Select Dial makes setting changes faster & easier
- Compatible with all Canon EOS cameras, digital or film
- Strong 180 Guide Number (ISO 100 in ft)
- Head tilts upwards and swivels side to side for maximum bounce flexibility
- Informative display screen with backlight
- Segmented distance scale allows estimation of output needed versus recycle time
- External battery pack connection
- AF assit beam helps autofocus in low lighting
- Dedicated switch for setting Master or Slave Wireless modes
- Supports Flash Exposure Compensation & Flash Exposure Bracketing in 1/2 and 1/3 stop increments
- Stroboscopic mode
- Supports High Speed FP Sync, Rear Curtain Sync, and FEL (Flash Exposure Lock)
Available accessories include Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2, Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3, ST-E2 Transmitter, Speedlight 430EX, CP-E3, CP-E2, and Transistor Pack E.