The AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF is a fast mid-range autofocus zoom lens for Nikon 35mm film SLR and FX format digital SLR cameras. The 24-85mm f/2.8-4D is a fairly unique combination of maximum aperture a bit brighter than most zooms and a zoom range a bit broader than most fast zooms. Covering a versatile wide-angle to telephoto (24?85mm) zoom range, this lens offers a good balance between convenience and optical performance. The Internal Focus optical design includes two aspherical elements to maximize image quality. The 24-85mm f/2.8-4D also features a built-in macro mode for focal lengths from 35-85mm which allows close-up photography at up to a 1:2 reproduction ratio (half life size).
The Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D was originally released in 2000 as a relatively fast middle tier alternative to the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 D ED IF AF-S and even the later 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED IF AF-S both of which are excellent but more cumbersome and lack a macro mode. A 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED AF-S (non-macro) was released in 2005 but it didn't replace the popular 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D.
The Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D is perfect for travel, vacation, and special occasion photography on full frame cameras. At 85mm the lens takes flattering portraits. The macro mode allows for wonderful photography of everything from flowers to babies photography. The generous wide-angle range is great for shooting landscapes, buildings, and scenery.
- Fast mid-range zoom lens
- Covers FX format
- 3.5X zoom range from wide angle to portrait focal lengths
- Great travel lens
- Produces rich beautiful images
- 2 Aspherical Elements
- Macro mode magnification up to 1:2 (half life size)
- Internal Focus Design
- Filter ring doesn't rotate during zooming or focusing
- On DX format Nikons equivalent to using a 35-127mm lens on an FX sensor
- D-type lens chip provides distance information for improved flash metering
- Mechanical aperture control allows use on broad range of cameras and adapters
Available accessories include the reversible HB-25 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-S2 Soft Lens Case, and 72mm filters.