The Nikkor 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S is a telephoto zoom lens for Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. It's an ideal lightweight companion lens to 18-55mm camera kit lenses. By being designed exclusively for use with Nikon's DX-format D-SLR cameras, the lens is very compact yet still has a lot of reach. The 55-200mm focal length range is well suited to use for most outdoor photography including sports, pets, travel, landscapes as well as indoor events in larger spaces. The Nikon 55-200mm takes good images; a high quality optical design and a responsive focusing system working together to deliver the best images possible.
At the core of the lens is a high quality optical design; Nikon's expert engineers have used 13 different lens elements arranged in 9 groups to produce sharp pictures and all glass surfaces are covered with anti-reflective coatings for maximum contrast and color. The lens also uses two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements to help minimize chromatic aberration, contributing to the excellent optical performance. The 55-200mm uses an AF-S SWM Silent Wave Motor (Silent Wave Motor) to deliver exceptionally fast and super-quiet autofocusing so you don't miss important moments.
This lens (Nikon USA part# 2156) was originally released in 2005 as Nikon's first dedicated telephoto for the DX format. In 2007 Nikon introduced an upgrade option, the Nikkor 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED DX AF-S VR (Nikon USA part# 2166) featuring image stabilization. Photographers wanting more reach should also consider the Nikkor 55-300mm VR.
All in all the Nikon 55-200mm is an tremendous lens value. It's been one of Nikon's most popular lenses and a good super affordable choice for a just about any Nikon DX user looking for a second or third lens.
- Compact telephoto zoom with 3.6X zoom range
- Perfect outdoor photography companion lens to an 18-55mm
- Equivalent to a 82.5-300mm FX format lens
- First telephoto engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras
- Great optical design produces sharp images with rich color
- Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements minimizes chromatic aberration
- Nikon SIC (Nikon Super Integrated Coating) multi-coating
- 9 Blade Rounded Diaphragm Provides more natural out-of-focus highlights
- AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) delivers fast and quiet autofocus
Available accessories include the HB-34 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-0815 Soft Lens Case, LC-52 Snap-on Front Lens Cap, LF-4 Rear Lens Cap, and 52mm filters.