The Nikon D3 (Nikon USA part# 25434) is a rugged DSLR camera made for professional photographers and action sports photography. Because it's a top of the line Nikon Pro body the D3s is a high performance tool that enjoys amenities and controls not always found on mid-tier and entry level class cameras. The D3 is also built to withstand demanding usage even in extreme environments.
Introduced in 2007, the D3 is Nikon's first Digital SLR to feature a 'Full Frame' 35mm format size sensor Digital SLR. Always destined to be a historically significant camera due to it's FX sized sensor, the D3 is also a landmark camera for it's high speed performance, game changing 14 Bit A/D (Analog to Digital) conversion for 4 times the tonal range of 12 Bit cameras, remarkably low noise ISOs, and the worlds first artificial horizon leveling display on a camera.
In 2009 Nikon release and updated version, the Nikon D3s which features improvements including a new even more sensitive sensor with faster Nikon Expeed image processor, sensor self cleaning via a vibrating AA filter, improved AF coverage & responsiveness, HD video capture (low noise 720p24), as well as dedicated Live View and info buttons.
- Full Frame FX format 12.1 Megapixel CMOS with huge pixels
- Bright Large 100% Coverage Optical Viewfinder with eyepiece shutter, locking diopter correction, interchangeable focusing screens
- Dedicated 51-point AF System designed for sports and fast action photojournalists
- 4 Dynamic AF modes, 15 cross-type AF sensors
- World class responsiveness with negligible start-up lag, shutter release lag, and mirror black-out time
- Continous shooting at up to 11fps in DX Crop format
- Continous shooting at up to 9fps in full frame FX format
- Large buffers allows 82 fine JPEGs, 36 14-bit RAW NEFs
- Self-diagnostic long life shutter shutter
- Dual UDMA CF Card Slots
- 3D Color Matrix Metering II and SRS (Scene Recognition System) RGB sensitive meter
- 3inch 921K dot RGB VGA LCD Monitor
- Top and back status display panels
- Virtual Horizon leveling indicator
- Live view with mirror down phase detection AF or mirror-up contrast detection AF
- ISOs from 200 to 6,400 (expandable to 25,600)
- Numerous external controls for quick easy to access setting changes
- Extensive customization options
- Active D-Lighting instant image enhancement
- Rock solid magnesium alloy shell with electromagnetic noise and weather resistant construction
- Integrated vertical grip and controls for portrait orientation shooting
- I-TTL Flash Metering & Hot Shoe, conventional external flash sync socket
- External mic, A/V out, Mini-USB, Mini-HDMI, 10-pin remote, & DC power input sockets
- Aperture follow tab for full aperture metering with AI and AI-S lenses
Available accessories include: extra EN-EL4a or EN-EL4 Batteries, extra BL-4 Battery Chamber Covers, MH-22 Dual Battery Charger, MH-21 Battery Charger, UC-E4 USB Cable, EG-D2 Audio Video Cable, AN-DC5 Camera Strap, BF-1B Body Cap, BS-2 Accessory Shoe Cap, DK-17 Eyepiece, DK-19 Rubber Eyecup, GP-1 GPS unit, WT-4A Wireless File Transmitter, EH-6 AC Adapter, Nikkor Lenses.