The Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D IF ED Aspherical is an ultra-wide angle zoom lens for Nikon digital SLR cameras and 35mm film SLR cameras. It's a sharp lens that produces rich contrasty images thanks to Nikon's engineering prowess and demanding quality standards. The lens fully covers 35mm film or FX format sensors and covers DX format sensors with it's best area.
The 18mm focal length produces a 100° (diagonal) angle of view on FX format and when zoomed all the way in the 35mm focal length produces a 44° angle of view. With fixed wide angle lenses a common problem is having a lens that's either too wide (requiring extra cropping and loss of detail) or not wide enough (requiring time consuming image stitching or backing up further if even possible). The Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D's zoom capability makes it's easy to compose and frame just right; it's like having more than four separate lenses in your bag: 18mm f/3.5, 24mm f/4, 28mm f/4.2, and a 35mm f/4.5. This versatility makes the Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D a great lens for shooting travel & landscape pictures. There's also the ability to force dramatic wide close up perspective which can be used on any object to make really fun and creative shots that you just can't get out of a longer lens.
Originally released in 2000 the Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D was designed to be a high quality middle tier lens costing less than the Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 D yet delivering excellent images for users who don't need more aperture.& In 2013 it's sucessor the Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G (Nikon USA part# 2207) was released with new optics and the addition of an AF-S motor but without a mechanical aperture control ring. The 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D remains popular as one of the most affordable high quality full frame ultra-wide angles available.
- FX format ultra-wide angle lens
- Ideal for travel & landscape photography
- 100° angle of view allows dramatic perspective
- Zoom capability allows precise framing just the way you want it
- Produces excellent images
- ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass element reduces chromatic aberrations
- Aspherical element helps reduce distortion
- Internal Focus (IF) design
- Close focuses down to .33m (1.1ft)
- D-type chip provides distance information to Nikon N90 and later cameras for improved flash metering
- Mechanical aperture control allows use on broad range of cameras and adapters
- Uses the popular 77mm filter size
Available accessories include the reversible HB-23 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-S2 Soft Lens Case, and 77mm filters.