The Nikkor 35mm f/2 D is a prime wide-angle lens for Nikon 35mm film SLR and full frame FX format digital SLR camera bodies. The 35mm focal length produces moderately wide angle images with a 62° angle of view (on full frame cameras). This slightly wide field of view fits noticeably more in the image than a standard 50mm lens yet doens't distort perspective; many photographers choose this sort of lens over a 50mm as a walk-around lens sometimes reasoning that they can always crop the image later if needed. The classic optical design produces contrasty sharp images with rich color. The bright f/2 maximum aperture produces a bright viewfinder image and makes shooting in dim available lighting easier. The lens is a very compact at 1.7 inches in length and a ligtweight 7.2 ounces ideal for travel while not taking up much space in your bag. With it's wide yet natural perspective the 35mm f/2 D is especially well suited for landscape, architecture, or group pictures and other applications are only limited by your creativity.
This current model (Nikon USA model # 1923) was originally released in 1995 as an update to the very popular Nikkor 35mm f/2 (non-D) lens. A newer Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G ED AF-S has been released but the 35mm f/2D is still a less expensive popular option for full frame users. Nikon D40, D40x, D60, D3000 series, and D5000 Series owners wanting autofocus should consider the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G DX AF-S instead.
- Versatile wide-angle lens for a broad range of uses
- Full 35mm film frame (FX) coverage
- Slightly wide 62° angle of view produces natural perspective
- Fast f/2 maximum aperture make this ideal for low light, hand-held shooting
- Excellent optical performance
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC) prevents lens flare and ghosting
- Perfect lens for the photographer on the go
- Close focus down to 0.85 feet
- Classic AF Nikkor construction and styling
- Mechanical aperture control ring enables use on broadest possible range of cameras
- "D" chip transmits distance information to compatible bodies for improved flash metering and exposure
- Marked depth-of-field scale
- Uses the popular 52mm filter size
Available accessories include the HN-3 Screw-In Lens Hood to prevent lens glare and flare, the CL-0715 Soft Lens Case for protection, and 52mm filters.