The Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR (Nikon USA part #20063) is the latest generation of Nikon's famous line of constant aperture telephoto zoom lenses. The 70-200mm 2.8 FL fully covers FX format sensors with portrait and medium tele focal lengths while offering a new level of performance and professional image quality.
The Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR features an all new optical configuration and a mechanicals that feel familiar yet offer with welcome enhancements for high speed shooting. The new optical design makes use of an ultra premium FL (Flourite) element and a HRI (High Refractive Index) element as well as six ED (Extra low Dispersion) elements among a 22 element 18 group arrangement that also includes N (Nano Crystal) and SIC Super Integrated Coating for first class image quality with remarkable sharpness, realistic color, jaw dropping contrast and no need of worry about flare or ghosting.
Sports and action photographers will really appreciate the new lighter magnesium allow barrel that includes 4 easy to reach AF operation buttons and a dedicated AF-L/OFF/AF-ON switch that allows easy changes between AutoFocus Lock, Disabled, and AutoFocus Start functionality. Like previous models the FL lens uses an AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for ultra-fast and quiet autofocusing. The lens close focusing distance has been improved by a foot over the previous model from 1.4m (4.6ft) to 1.1m (3.6ft).
This 70-200mm f/2.8 features a VR Vibration Reduction system (with Normal and Sports modes) for increased stability equivalent to up to 4 a stop higher shutter speed. As with previous models the maximum aperture remains bright constant f/2.8 throughout the full zoom range for maximum versatility under any lighting and amazing background blur.
The lens is an E Type, meaning the aperture diaphragm is electromagnetically actuated by a a lens motor for increased responsiveness. While a the new aperture mechanism is a forward looking upgrade able to more fully keep up with ever increasing camera frame rates it does limit compatibility*. Nikon shooters looking for an exceptional lens for earlier digital bodies should consider the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II instead.
- Evolution of Nikon's legendary 70-200mm pro telephoto zoom workhorse
- Nikon F Mount E Type* (electro-magnetic aperture)
- 4 Barrel mounted AF Operation buttons & dedicated AF-L/OFF/AF-ON switch
- ~4 stops of Vibration Reduction for handheld & low-light shooting
- Two VR modes: Normal & Sport (panning)
- Fast f/2.8 constant aperture
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
- Sensational image quality and sharpness with virtually no distortion
- 1 HRI (High Refractive Index) element
- 1 FL (Fluorite) element
- 6 ED (Extra Low Dispersion) elements
- Nano Crystal Coat (N)
- Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
- Internal Focus (IF) design
- AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides ultra fast and quiet focus
- Focuses down to just 1.1m (3.6ft)
- Focus limit switch (Full or ∞-5m): reduces AF seek time by restricting focus range
- Full time manual override with A-M and M-A mode options
- M/A focus setting allows full time manual focus override
- Magnesium alloy barrel
- Rotating Tripod Mount with removable foot
- Nonstick fluorine coated front and rear glass
- Extensive weather sealing
Available accessories include: HB-78 Reversible Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-M2 Ballistic Nylon Lens Case, 77mm filters, LC-77 Snap-On Front Lens, LF-4 Rear Cap.
*As of 09/11/2017 compatible with D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500, D7000, D7100, D7200, D300, D300s, D600, D610, D700, D750, D800, D800E, D810, D810A, D850, D3x, D4, D4s, Df, D500, D5