The SE 18?200 mm F3.5-6.3 OSS 'Limited Edition' (Sony part# SEL18200LE) is an all purpose zoom lens for Sony E-Mount APS-C sized sensor mirrorless digital cameras,. The SEL18200LE combines all encompassing wide angle views and powerful telephoto capabilities into a single ultra compact and convenient all-in-one lens with outsized performance; the perfect vacation or trip lens it's ready for anything in the world. This potent lens allows you to travel light without having to worry about missing a shot because you don't have a telephoto or are caught changing lenses.
While super handy, super zoom lenses face significant engineering challenges. To deliver quality comparable to shorter range zooms, the SEL18200LE uses a highly sophisticated and refined refined 13 group optical design employing 17 fully multi-coated elements including two ED (Extra low Dispersion) and multiple aspherical elements to minimize distortion and combat aberrations. The results are impressively good especially considering it's space saving form factor. The lens makes sharp contrasty images with good color fidelity. Out of focus areas are also more pleasantly rendered thanks to an aperture using 7 rounded blades for truly circular circles of confusion and superior results over polygon shaped diaphragms. The lens also incorporates Sony's OSS (Optical Steady Shot) image stabilizer technology to preserve it's high image quality. OSS reduces loss sharpness from minute vibrations inevitable in handheld photography; OSS is invaluable if your not carrying a tripod as it lets you use shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible.
The rest of the lens mechanicals are well executed too. Autofocusing is fast thanks to an efficient internal focusing mechanism driven by quiet high-speed autofocus motor and a Direct Manual Focus ring is provided. The lens exterior features an attractive black aluminum alloy and steel lens mount along with a convenient zoom lock switch which prevents gravity from extending the double telescoping zoom mechanism when hanging from a camera strap.
The SEL18200LE 'Limited Edition' was introduced in 2012 as an even more compact update to the original E-mount 18-200mm OSS (SEL18200). Later in 2012 a larger 18-200mm version with motorized zoom was unveiled for videographers, the PZ (Power Zoom) SELP18200 .
If you're looking for a super portable yet flexible go-to lens for you Alpha mirrorless (or Nex), the SELP18200LE should be near the top of the list.
- Powerfull all-in-one lens for Sony E
- Designed specifically for Sony APS-C format mirrorless cameras
- Equivalent to a 35mm format 27-300mm lens
- 11x Zoom versatility
- Excellent performance, great color, contrast and clarity
- High quality optical design with 17 elements in 13 groups
- Four aspherical lens surfaces
- Two Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements
- Fully multicoated optics preserve contrast while reducing reflections and glare
- Circular diaphragm with 7 rounded blades for more pleasing bokeh transitions
- OSS (Optical Steady Shot) image stabilization
- Internal focusing mechanism driven by quiet high-speed autofocus motor
- Direct Manual Focus ring
- Closest focus distance of just 0.5m (1.64ft)
- Attractive black barrel finish
- Zoom lock switch
- Compact: just 97.1mm (3.82in) long retracted, uses 62mm size filters
- Light 60g (16.3oz)
Available accessories include: petal shaped reversible bayonet ALC-SH124 Lens Hood, ALC-F62S Front Lens Cap, ALC-R1EM Rear Lens Cap, 62mm filters.