The E 18?200 mm F3.5-6.3 OSS (Sony part# SEL18200) is an all purpose zoom lens for Sony E-Mount APS-C sized sensor mirrorless digital cameras,. The SEL18200 combines all encompassing wide angle views and powerful telephoto capabilities into a single compact and convenient all-in-one lens with great performance; the perfect vacation or trip lens it's ready for anything in the world. This potent lens allows you to travel light without having to worry about missing a shot because you don't have a telephoto or are caught changing lenses.
While super handy, super zoom lenses face significant engineering challenges. To deliver quality comparable to shorter range zooms, the SEL18200 uses a highly sophisticated 12 group optical design employing 17 fully multi-coated elements including multiple aspherical elements to minimize distortion and aberrations. The results are impressively good especially considering the form factor. The lens makes sharp contrasty images with good color fidelity. Out of focus areas are also more pleasantly rendered thanks to an aperture using 7 rounded blades for truly circular circles of confusion and superior results over polygon shaped diaphragms. The lens also incorporates Sony's OSS (Optical Steady Shot) image stabilizer technology to preserve it's high image quality. OSS reduces loss sharpness from minute vibrations inevitable in handheld photography; OSS is invaluable if your not carrying a tripod as it lets you use shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible.
The rest of the lens mechanicals are well executed too. Autofocusing is fast thanks to an efficient internal focusing mechanism driven by quiet high-speed autofocus motor and a Direct Manual Focus ring is provided. The lens exterior features an attractive aluminum alloy and steel lens mount along with a convenient zoom lock switch which prevents gravity from extending the double telescoping zoom mechanism when hanging from a camera strap.
The SEL18200 was introduced in 2010 and has been a popular option since. In 2012 Sony released a slightly more compact black 'Limited Edition' 18-200mm (SEL18200LE); later that same year a larger motorized zoom version the PZ (power zoom) SELP18200 was unveiled for videographers.
If you're looking for a super flexible go-to lens for you Alpha mirrorless (or Nex), the SELP18200 should be on the shortlist.
- Powerfull all-in-one lens for Sony E
- Designed specifically for Sony APS-C format mirrorless cameras
- Equivalent to a 35mm format 27-300mm lens
- 11x Zoom versatility
- Excellent performance, great color, contrast and clarity
- High quality optical design with 17 elements in 12 groups
- Four aspherical lens surfaces
- Fully multicoated optics preserve contrast while reducing reflections and glare
- Circular diaphragm with 7 rounded blades for more pleasing bokeh transitions
- OSS (Optical Steady Shot) image stabilization
- Internal focusing mechanism driven by quiet high-speed autofocus motor
- Direct Manual Focus ring
- Closest focus distance of just 0.3m (.99ft) at widest, 0.5m (1.64ft) at max tele
- Attractive aluminum alloy barrel finish
- Zoom lock switch
- Compact: just 99mm (4in) long retracted, uses 67mm size filters
- Light 524g (18.5oz)
Available accessories include: petal shaped reversible bayonet ALC-SH109 Lens Hood, ALC-F67S Front Lens Cap, ALC-R1EM Rear Lens Cap, 67mm filters.