Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM A-Mount autofocus lens, Silver 
The 70–400 mm f/4–5.6 G SSM (Sony part# SAL70400G) is a top-of-the-line telephoto super-zoom for Sony A-Mount α (Alpha) DSLR and DSLT Cameras. It's a full frame coverage lens that's also useable on Sony E-Mount mirrorless cameras via various Sony LA-EA mount adapters (E format: LA-EA1 or LA-EA2, FE format: LA-EA3 or LA-EA4). An ideal choice for a range of medium to long-distance telephoto shots, this Sony G Series lens delivers images of incredible richness and clarity thanks to expert implementation of advanced optical and mechanical technologies.
Sony first introduced the SAL70400G in 2008 and in a short time it's combination of performance and flexibility made it one of the Alpha system's most popular choices. In 2013 an updated replacement was released, the (nearly identical other than color) Sony 70-400mm F/4-5.6 G SSM II (Sony part# SAL70400G2). The version II adds two upgrades: an even faster more responsive AF system (thanks to a new LSI processor) and Sony's state of the art Nano AR Coating (nano structure anti-reflective coating) which is able to dramatically reduce flare and ghosting (by more evenly transmitting light at wider incident angles to the optical surface). The version II is white and the version I is a grayish silver.
The 70–400 mm F4–5.6 G SSM is an ideal lens for outdoor sports action, wildlife, portraiture, compressed landscapes, and more. Covering an extremely broad telephoto range, this award-winning lens can, take you from an close 70mm portrait to a stunning 400mm action shot in an instant without having to change lenses and potentially miss the moment for a great shot. If you're looking for big lens performance plus extra framing versatility in a reasonably portable package the SAL70400G is a great choice.
- G series (pro grade) telephoto super zoom
- Sony A (α Alpha) Mount
- Full Frame 35mm format coverage
- 105-600mm equivalent on APS-C
- Outstanding contrast, clarity, & color
- Two ED (Extra low Dispersion) elements
- Fully AR (anti-reflective)coated
- Internal Focus Design
- Fast SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) autofocus drive
- Full time Manual focus override
- 3 Position Focus Mode/Limit switch: AF Full, AF ∞-3m, MF
- 3 Focus Hold buttons on barrel
- Close focuses to 1.5m (4.93ft)
- 9 blade circular aperture for smoother background transitions
- Rotating removable tripod collar
- Dust and moisture resistant construction
- Uses the popular 77mm filter size
Available accessories include: ALC-SH107 reversible bayonet lens hood (or ALC-SH121 in White), 77mm filters, caps.
|Focus Type||Autofocus (lens motor)|
|Lens Mount||Sony A & Minolta A|
|Lens Type||Telephoto / Long|
|Max Focal Length||400mm|
|Min Focal Length||400mm|