The Nikkor 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S VR II (Nikon USA part# 20050) is an ultra compact telephoto zoom lens for Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. It's a lightweight space-saving companion to 18-55mm camera kit lenses. While Nikon DX format lenses tend to be fairly compact but the 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S VR II is especially so.
The 55-200mm focal length range is well suited to use for most outdoor photography including sports, pets, travel, landscapes as well as indoor events in larger spaces, even portraits too. The Nikon 55-200mm VR II uses a new optical design that delivers high quality images with good definition while keeping the barrel shorter than it's predecessor. The lens also features a responsive AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) focusing system and a built-in VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization system to help it deliver the best images possible.
The heart and soul of any lens is the glass and how it's arranged; in this instance, Nikon's expert engineers have used a fresh new 13 element 9 groups design with an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element and excellent anti-reflective coatings for superior optical performance. The 55-200mm VR II produces crisp sharp pictures with maximum contrast, great color and minimal chromatic aberration.
The built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization system significantly reduces camera and lens shake throughout the entire focal length range, making sharp telephoto shots substantially easier to achieve. The VR system allows handheld shooting with shutters speeds up to 4 stops slower than a photographer could normally use, a great benefit at higher magnifications (which magnifies shake) and in lower lighting conditions such as dusk, dawn, or indoors.
The 55-200mm VR II uses a compact rod-type AF-S SWM Silent Wave Motor (Silent Wave Motor) to deliver ultra-high speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and super-quiet operation so you're not waiting on it and missing important moments.
The VR II 55-200mm lens was originally released in 2105 as an upgrade to the earlier 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S VR (Nikon USA part# 2166). Photographers wanting more reach should also consider the Nikkor 55-300mm VR. All in all the Nikon 55-200mm VR II is an impressive lens that extends capabilities and expectations for compact optics. It's one of Nikon's most popular lenses and a great affordable choice for a just about any Nikon DX user looking for a second or third lens.
- Super compact telephoto zoom with 3.6X zoom range
- Perfect outdoor photography companion lens to an 18-55mm
- Equivalent to a 82.5-300mm FX format lens
- Engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras
- Great optical design produces sharp images with rich color
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element minimizes chromatic aberration
- VR (Vibration Reduction) reduces loss of sharpness from camera and lens shake
- 7 Blade Rounded Diaphragm Provides more natural out-of-focus highlights
- AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) delivers fast and quiet autofocus
- A/M Focus Mode Switch enables quick-switching between A (Autofocus) and M (Manual Focus)
- Focuses as close as 1.1m (3.7ft)
- Convenient Zoom Lock button makes carrying mounting and deployment easier
Available accessories include the HB-37 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-0915 Soft Lens Case, LC-52 Snap-on Front Lens Cap, LF-4 Rear Lens Cap, and 52mm filters.