The Nikkor 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S VR is a telephoto zoom lens for Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras. It's an ideal lightweight companion lens to 18-55mm camera kit lenses. By being designed exclusively for use with Nikon's DX-format D-SLR cameras, the lens is very compact yet still has a lot of reach. The 55-200mm focal length range is well suited to use for most outdoor photography including sports, pets, travel, landscapes as well as indoor events in larger spaces. The Nikon 55-200mm VR takes good images; a high quality optical design, a responsive focusing system and built-in image stabilization all work together to deliver the best images possible.
The heart and soul of any lens is the optical design; here Nikon's expert engineers have used 15 different lens Elements arranged in 11 Groups to produce sharp pictures and all glass surfaces are covered with anti-reflective coatings for maximum contrast and color. The lens also uses an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element to help minimize chromatic aberration, contributing to the superior optical performance.
The built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization system significantly reduces camera and lens shake throughout the entire focal length range, making sharp telephoto shots substantially easier to achieve. The VR system allows handheld shooting with shutters speeds up to 3 stops slower than a photographer could normally use, a great benefit at higher magnifications (which magnifies shake) and in lower lighting conditions such as dusk, dawn, or indoors.
The 55-200mm VR uses a new compact rod-type AF-S SWM Silent Wave Motor (Silent Wave Motor) to deliver ultra-high speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and super-quiet operation so you're not waiting on it and missing important moments.
This lens was originally released in 2007 as an upgrade to the earlier Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 DX non-VR model (Nikon USA part# 2156). In 2015 a newer version II was released, the Nikkor 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED DX AF-S VR II features a shorter design and zoom lock button. Photographers wanting more reach should also consider the Nikkor 55-300mm VR.
All in all the Nikon 55-200mm VR is an tremendous lens value. It's one of Nikon's most popular lenses and a great super affordable choice for a just about any Nikon DX user looking for a second or third lens.
- Compact telephoto zoom with 3.6X zoom range
- Perfect outdoor photography companion lens to an 18-55mm
- Equivalent to a 82.5-300mm FX format lens
- Engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras
- Great optical design produces sharp images with rich color
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element minimizes chromatic aberration
- VR (Vibration Reduction) reduces loss of sharpness from camera and lens shake
- 7 Blade Rounded Diaphragm Provides more natural out-of-focus highlights
- AF-S SWM (Silent Wave Motor) delivers fast and quiet autofocus
- A/M Focus Mode Switch enables quick-switching between A (Autofocus) and M (Manual Focus)
Available accessories include the HB-37 Bayonet Lens Hood, CL-0815 Soft Lens Case, LC-52 Snap-on Front Lens Cap, LF-4 Rear Lens Cap, and 52mm filters.