The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D Autofocus Lens is a fixed focal length autofocus lens for Nikon 35mm film and digital SLR camera bodies. The lens a 'normal' angle of view of approximately 46° which is not considered wide angle or telephoto but more of a standard in-between field of view that produces undistorted perspective. The modest angle of view allows a lens design which is quite bright and also able to deliver extremely good images without great expense. The bright maximum aperture can produce significant background blur, makes a camera viewfinder easier to see through, and allows use of faster shutter speeds when needed. The lens design carefully uses metal for construction where useful and saves weight where polymers work just as well, the result is a lens weighing only 5.5 ounces; it's nearly weightless to carry and use, a great benefit when traveling or trying to get the sharpest handheld images. Incredibly versatile and sharp, the Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D is an excellent choice any photography enthusiast or student*.
- Classic high speed normal lens
- Superb sharpness and color rendering
- Nikon SIC (Super Integrated Coating) Multi-layer coating minimizes flare and ghosting
- Bright f/1.8 aperture is excellent for shooting in available light
- "D" chip transmits distance information to compatible bodies for improved flash metering and exposure
- Exceptionally lightweight and compact
- Mechanical aperture control ring enables use on broadest possible range of cameras
- Depth of field scale marked at f/11 and f/22
- Infrared focus mark
- Uses popular 52mm filter size
Available accessories include 52mm filters and the Nikon HR-1 Lens Hood.
*Compatibility note: if you use a Nikon D40 series, D60, D3000 Series or D5000 series camera body and want autofocus capability consider the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G AF-S or Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 G DX AF-S lenses instead.